Here are some product ideas we currently have in the queue, which we'd very much like to get into full design and production. Your support could help make these products a reality.
LEGAL NOTE: Products appearing on this page in no way indicate guarantees of future release and only represent avenues that HD Retrovision would like to pursue, if possible.
Sega Dreamcast Component Cable
We currently have a very rough, yet working, prototype of a Sega Dreamcast component cable. This was actually the first prototype we ever made that was put into cable form. Depending on levels of interest and the success of our Genesis/SNES component cables, we may turn towards development of a production quality cable.
The main difference between this cable and our other component cables is that this one supports 480p in addition to 240p/480i (288p/576i for PAL).
Why make a Dreamcast component cable when the console already natively supports VGA? Several reasons:
- Not all TVs have VGA inputs. Newer, budget HDTVs in particular, have trended towards dropping support for it.
- Not all Dreamcast games and software support VGA mode. This requires you to either fiddle with the coding on the disc (IP.BIN bootloader), or drop to s-video or composite video.
- Like all our other cables, the signals coming from the console are analyzed and then conditioned for the best possible output.
Saturn, PS1, and Neo Geo AES Adapters for Genesis YPbPr Component Cable
We currently sell an adapter to convert the Genesis YPbPr Component cable (compatible with Genesis 2) to connect with the Model 1 Genesis and Master System. We have also produced and sold to Kickstarter backers a limited number of NeoGeo AES adapters to try out. If that is successful, we will consider mass producing those as well. We were able to briefly experiment with some additional adapters during our development of the Genesis and SNES component cables. It is still early to say anything for certain, but we plan to investigate whether we will be able to produce dongles that will allow that cable to be used with the Sega Saturn and Sony Playstation as well. We have set up our manufacturing process to be able to use much of the existing parts and tooling to produce all of these adapters. However, a full suite of testing is required before moving forward with those plans.
Not all TVs are created equal. Some accept all signals and process them correctly. Others reject signals completely and mis-process the rest (see here for more info). We would like to eliminate this once and for all, and most importantly, do it in an affordable way. The HDMIzer will be a product that takes almost any standard definition analog video format, processes it correctly, and leaves you with a clean 480p/576p HDMI output, compatible with anything that has an HDMI port. Here are some initial, proposed specifications:
- Component Video (YPbPr 240p/288p/480i/576i/480p/576p)
- S-Video (Y/C)
- Composite Video (CVBS)
- USA Channel-3 & Japan Channel-1 RF (RCA)
- Stereo Analog Audio (2x RCA)
- External DC Power
- 240p/288p/480i/576i/480p/576p HDMI
- 15-pin D-sub - supporting 640x480 VGA & 480p/576p YPbPr
- Stereo Analog Audio
- Scanline Switch - ON/OFF
- Black Level Correct Switch - ON/OFF
- Smoothing Filter (for dithered game graphics) - ON/OFF
- Analog Output Select Switch - VGA/YPbPr